Lehigh Valley Transit northbound Liberty Bell Limited about to depart Norristown for Allentown in 1950. (David H. Cope photo)
This is part 3 of 3 in our series of blog posts showcasing masterful black-and-white photographs by the late David H. Cope. These were given to CERA by the East Penn Traction Club in 1988, on the occasion of our 50th anniversary. The photos were meant to be exhibited at our 50th anniversary banquet and program. You can enjoy them here as CERA celebrates its 75th anniversary.
Here is how the East Penn Traction Club introduced their exhibit:
The electric railway scene in the Philadelphia area has been characterized by a rich variety of systems. Although the vast city system has many admirers, visitors to our region during CERA’s lifetime were often drawn here by the Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company’s Red Arrow Lines (and its predecessor, the Philadelphia and West Chester Traction Company, and successor, SEPTA-Suburban) – especially the 19 mile side-of-the-road line to West Chester. Others came to see, ride and photograph the third rail system of the Philadelphia and Western Railway and its connecting line, the Lehigh Valley Transit, whose Liberty Bell Limited line connected Philadelphia and Allentown. Still others came to see the PRSL West Jersey electrics and the Brilliners and Shore Fast cars of the Atlantic City and Shore. The exhibit, presented to our friends at CERA, depicts the great era of traction in the Delaware Valley during the CERA era.
We hope that you will enjoy them.
Lehigh Valley Transit car 1006 on the wye by the P&W Upper Darby shops around 1947. (David H. Cope photo)
Lehigh Valley Transit ex C&LE lightweight northbound on P&W at Conshohocken Road in 1947. (David H. Cope photo)
Lehigh Valley Transit ex C&LE lightweight southbound on P&W between Gulph Mills and Conshohocken Road stations in 1947. (David H. Cope photo)
Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company car 81 eastbound at Ridley Creek on June 3, 1954, the last day of West Chester service. (David H. Cope photo)
Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company car 10 entering West Chester Pike from the Ardmore line, with 07 in the background at Llanerch. Car 10 was the last built by the Brill Company. The view is from September, 1952. (David H. Cope photo)
Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company car 2 southbound at Chester Road on the Media line in 1952. (David H. Cope photo)
Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company car 1 westbound on West Chester Pike between Manoa Road and Eagle Road on February 1, 1953 during the widening of West Chester Pike. (David H. Cope photo)
Lehigh Valley Transit southbound car 1030 (ex IRR) at Summit Lawn in October, 1950. (David H. Cope photo)
Lehigh Valley Transit ex C&LE lightweight northbound, leaving DeKalb Pike (US Route 202) near Center Square in October, 1950. (David H. Cope photo)